By now you all have been reading about my hot water heater problems... but did you have any idea how serious it was? I didn't.
I had been 'sick' for about a week. So many different symptoms made it hard to diagnose... besides, I was too sick to care. I just curled up in bed and hoped the world would pass me by. A few major "events" were happening in my day to day life, so I chalked up the queasy stomach, intestinal flare ups, migraine, head cold, sneezing, and over all 'I don't give a shit' attitude to depression. Little did I know the gas leak from the hot water heater was poisoning me.
My daughter suffered some of the same symptoms... and the dogs weren't behaving right either... but I was too sick to notice or care.
As a general rule I like to keep the windows in my house open. I can't live with out fresh air blowing in my face, especially around my nose. That's the only thing that saved me from a more serious fate.
Last week a neighbor called the fire department because they smelled gas. The firemen turned the gas to the hot water heater off... and with in 6 hours or so I started to feel better.
So... beware of the silent killer!!! You can't see it, hear it, or even smell it in some cases. Read the symptoms below and commit them to memory. I didn't suffer from all of them... but quite a few to see the pattern.
Symptoms of Natural Gas Poisoning
There are a wide variety of symptoms that may occur from natural gas poisoning. The most noticeable are:
- Increased allergies
- Gastrointestinal Problems
- Mental Fogginess
- Pain and Discomfort
- High Red Blood Cell Count
- High White Blood Cell Count
- High Cholesterol levels
- Pets are unexplainably ill
Keep it safe!